Friday, May 27, 2016

a cup and the mystery of a future...

as the rejections from the craft shows continue to come in
and my ability to make a living continues to wane,
my experiments searching for something simple continue...
I always loved the old Shino pots
they were stark, fat, semi translucent white, with clay peeking through from underneath,
current trends and beliefs to the contrary...

I once complimented a white shino piece of someone's
from a wood kiln as beautiful and was corrected...
told in no uncertain terms, that that was an "undeveloped shino" and was useless...
what do I know?
what I do know is that food loves that glaze...

so these earthenware tests are looking for a similar effect at a lower temperature
fully aware of the surface changes that will create...
perhaps it will seem more like Hagi ware or even eventually "Rat Shino"...
I don't know at present...
I'm looking for a lower price point and a chance to survive as a potter...
imagine making a weeks worth of work and firing it the next week!
getting closer,  but a ways to go still... thinking
some Neph Sy to spread the melt more,
these frits don't like thick application and I want that for its feel in the hand...
we'll see as the project moves along... test, test, test...

it remains a mystery to me that at the height of my abilities,
in my opinion, making the best work I've ever made and finally
as I'm making the pots I saw in my mind as a young potter,
I am unable to be accepted into the shows that for years provided me
an opportunity to make a living...
it is a tough pill to swallow... I have no answers... never did really...
anyone know of a job for someone like me out there?

No comments:

Post a Comment